Audio PodcastsVisit to the growing collection of audio podcasts in the Parent Stories page to hear local parents talk about how they have learned to help their children succeed in school.
Parents Teaching Parents
1. Find answers from real and local parents on how they have overcome a challenge. Visit the Words for Life blog to read posts and comments from other parents.
2. Comment on prior posts. Click on the comment field at the bottom of each post. You will be required to provide your name and email.
3. Create a new Post. Parents are each other’s greatest resource. We are each other’s best teachers. No one gets it more than us. You are the most qualified to teach other parents about what works and what doesn’t. Request a Power Up! account before you can post in the blog. One you have an account, go to the blog and click on the “New post link”. In that link:
- Tell us about your challenges as a parent trying to help your child in school, what solutions have failed and worked, and any challenges you are seeking solutions for.
- You don’t have to use this format but you are welcome to if it helps you teach someone else.
Please do not give your last name, your child’s last name, and do not give any school or school staff names. For example, you can say “at Joseph’s school, Ms. X asked for volunteers and I couldn’t make it in because I had to work.”
Introduce yourself in your blog post, tell us….
- Your first name
• City or town of residence; and
• First name and ages of those people in your story
• Tell us why you are about to tell us this story
Tell your story: Think CHALLENGE, ACTION, RESULT.
- Explain a CHALLENGE you faced
• Explain the ACTION you took to address the challenge
• Tell what kind of RESULT was achieved due to the action
- Tell how your result might help others
• Tell us about a challenge you are currently facing and inquire if someone else has any action ideas!
4. Watch for comments from your post!