Prior to the Great Depression, plans were drawn up for an Arts Center on campus to house the art and music departments and an art gallery. A state moratorium on spending in 1932 put a stop to these plans, however, and it was not until 1935 that enough money was received through the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works to begin construction. George Schreiber, who also designed Elliott and Lucina Halls on campus, was the architect of the Collegiate Gothic style building.
After its construction, the Fine Arts Building also housed the foreign language, English, and social science departments. The Frank Ball art collection formed the nucleus of what became the university's art museum. Today the building contains the museum, classrooms, offices, and Recital Hall, a fine Renaissance-style auditorium.
Find out more about the Fine Arts building.