Known simply as the Arboretum in its early years, this seventeen-acre tract of land on the southwest edge of campus contained more than 300 species of trees, shrubs, and flowers. These plants were used for scientific and educational studies by faculty members and students. In 1940 the Arboretum was renamed Christy Woods to honor Dr. Otto Christy, the former head of the science department who had been responsible for designing most of the campus landscaping. A greenhouse was added to serve the biology department in 1951.
Dr. Christy explained the benefits of having this natural area on campus: "Here we may feel the uplift of the environment and, little by little, begin to realize that the supreme factors of life . . . are the result of our meditation in an atmosphere of beauty, quietness, and charm."
Find out more about Christy Woods.