Applied Technology Building
Designed by Walter Scholer, this late Collegiate Gothic style building was constructed from 1950 to 1954 to house the business education, home economics, and industrial arts departments. This was the first permanent structure that had been built on campus since 1938. According to contemporary newspaper accounts, the building contained state-of-the-art facilities and features, including "floating" walls, soundless hardwood floors, and shadowless lighting.
The central gable facing Riverside Avenue originally was topped by a limestone griffin that symbolized vigilance. The figure was unpopular on campus, however, and was removed and replaced by a ball shortly after the building's completion.Find out more about the Applied Technology Building.