This Colonial Revival style building has served as the offices for Ball State's alumni association, university relations, and other departments over the years, but it originally housed fifteen apartments. The complex was named Elliott Apartments for Frank Elliott Ball, who financed its construction in 1930 and for whom Elliott Hall also is named. Before construction began, Ball instructed Muncie architect Herbert Smenner to travel widely and find a design that would be distinctive yet look enough like a home to fit harmoniously into the residential surroundings of its original location at 700 North McKinley Avenue.
The university purchased the building in 1965 and remodeled it for office use. In 1999 the university moved the central portion of the building from McKinley Avenue to its current site, where it now houses offices for the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities.
Find out more about the Academy House.