by Angela S. Gibson, GIS Specialist
The Ball State GIS Knowledge Group hosted a GIS Day event in Bracken Library’s Schwartz Digital Complex on Wednesday, November 20, 2013. Over 100 attended the event with visitors ranging from Ball State University faculty, staff and students, to Burris high school students, to local GIS Professionals.
Twenty faculty, staff, students, and local GIS professionals gave brief presentations on their GIS research and projects in five-minute speed round presentations. Eight departments were represented in the presentations including the Departments of Art, Biology, Geography, History, Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning, the University Libraries, University Technology Services, and the Delaware County GIS Department.
Ten posters showcasing GIS research methods and findings were entered in the GIS poster competition, and were on display in the Schwartz Center lobby for attendees to view and vote on their favorite poster.
Members of the GIS Day planning committee are:
- Chris Baas-Assistant Professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture
- Lisa Dunaway- Instructor in the Department of Urban Planning
- Angela Gibson -GIS Specialist in the University Libraries
- Steve Radil -Assistant Professor in the Department of Geography
- Doug Seefeldt – Assistant Professor in the department of History
- John Taylor- Land Manager for the Field Station and Environmental Education Center
- Kevin Turcotte- Professor and Chairperson in the Department of Geography
- Zaine Venter -Graduate Student in the Department Geography