Recon AR removal problem fix.(Pic heavy)
I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem for everyone, but there have been two cases so far and it got me thinking. (I know some might complain about the length of this post, but it was meant to be detailed and thorough so that anyone could follow it and complete this mod. If you aren't interested don't read it.
There have been two recons that have had the back of the plunger tube break off as shown below. Both of these recons were modded, so I am assuming that is the problem. The plastic was not designed to take such an impact and as such breaks after some use. While I haven't heard of this problem in the Raider it is possible it could crop up because the system is pretty much the same.
To fix this I propose putting a little bit of cushion at the end of the plunger tube to help lessen the force and hopefully prevent the breaking shown above.
Step one is of course to open your recon. Make sure it is not cocked and remove all the screws from the shell of the gun. Don't forget the two under the priming arm. I find it easiest to remove those first.
Once you have the gun opened up it will look like this so long as nothing went flying off. If it did don't worry I've provided detailed pictures of what everything looks like in the proper place at the end.
*Yes I know what the outlining may look like.... couldn't be helped*
After you've taken a second to look around the gun and see what's going on you need to remove the plunger cover, and plunger from the gun. To do this pull the spring and trigger lock(Orange piece far right of the gun that the spring runs through) out of place and set them aside for later.
With the plunger and covers removed it's time to make the cushion. For mine I used some blue camping foam. The exact same stuff that Dag weapons are made from. Due to the thickness of the foam I cut it in half first as shown below.
*Normal thickness foam*
*Foam cut in half to be thin enough for our use*
Once you have the foam cut in half you need to cut it so that it cover the end of the plunger nicely. It doesn't need to be perfectly round, but close enough so that it covers the plunger fully without being larger than the plunger. To do this I sat my foam down on the desk and placed the plunger end down ontop of it to act as a sort of stencil.
*End of the plunger*
*End of plunger tube with foam placed on top of it*
Now that you have your foam(Or whatever you used) it's time to glue it in the end of the plunger cover. Simply place a little super glue, or if you wish epoxy, on one end of the foam and carefully push it down the plunger cover so that it rests neatly at the bottom. I found it best to use long tweezers so that I could keep pressure on two sides at once and not have it turn to one side and mess everything up.
*Plunger tube with foam glued to the end*
After you've let glue or epoxy cure it's time to reassemble the gun and go back to killing zombies and what not. As I promised above here are some detailed pictures of the gun when it's put together with everything in it's proper place.
*Front portion of the gun*
*Center: priming lock, and trigger*
*Rear of the gun, plunger assembly and trigger/spring lock*