1. Read the information in the disclaimer section below, then complete the form.
2. Submit the position description to the Career Center. We will post the position, verify eligibility, and refer all eligible and interested students to you.
3. Complete an online Student Employment Authorization www.bsu.edu/formblaster for each student you hire.
4. Call 285-2440 when you no longer want the position advertised.
Ball State Univeristy practices equal opportunity in education and employment and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community
Rate of Pay for Graduate Student Employees
1. The Career Center will approve rates of pay higher than the on-campus student wage rate for positions that are different from other student employment positions in the hiring department if the positions require a significant amount of additional skills and qualifications similar to those of a graduate assistant.
2. If you request permission to pay a graduate student more than the on-campus student wage rate, the Career Center will determine the rate of pay and contact you to communicate that rate.
3. The hourly rate of pay will not exceed the hourly rate paid to graduate assistants in your department.
4. To qualify for a special rate of pay, the position must require that the employee have earned a bachelor's degree.
Legal Information Concerning the Position Description
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits descrimination against disabled individuals in private, state, and local government employment, public accommodations, public transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications.
Under the ADA, any person with a disability is considered qualified for a position if he or she is able to perform the essential functions of the position. Written job descriptions are considered evidence of the essential functions of the position. It is important to identify essential functions by describing what is done and how it is done. In addition to the basic description on this form, you should maintain a more detailed job description in your files.
Example: Position--Lab Assistant Job Description (for advertising):
Basic duties: Preparation, instruction, and grading of ecology lab classes.
Essential functions: Must be able to communicate directions and safety instructions clearly and have a strong command of the material. Must be able to handle problems and work with computers.
Lucina Hall 220